Wednesday, November 2, 2022

South Geogia Day One (Right Whale Bay and Rosita Harbour)

I've just come back from our third landing on South Georgia but I will go back to our first day. 

November 1. 

We had spent two very rough days at sea to get to South Georgia.  We are starting on the North East side (I am going to have to check that, it is all blurring together).  After such high winds and waves over the last two days, we were feeling pretty pessimistic but the Expedition Leader announced that we were good to go!   So much excitement.  

There are several people on board who have told me that they have been to Falklands and to Antarctica but they are on this trip just for the South Georgia portion.  Apparently, it is the jewel in the crown of the south seas. We had a little preamble video narrated by David Attenborough telling us that we will never see anything like it again.  Talk about building up suspense.  Especially when there is a decent chance with each landing that we will not be able to launch the zodiacs.  Apparently, in one disastrous trip, they were only able to make one landing in the whole cruise!  That's not what you want to hear. 

Just a wee preview

Here is the day's itinerary, if all goes well.


Anyway, we were here, we were clear.  Our little group, the Adelies, were last to go.  Poor Julie, she can barely stand waiting.  But we made it onto the zodiacs and hit the beach of Right Whale Bay.  This is an experience you cannot believe is happening even while it is happening! I'm tearing up just thinking about those first steps onto the beach.  Pictures will not do justice but it's the best I can do.  It was beyond amazing!

At some point, we passed Shag Rocks which apparently are a thing.  


We woke up to this porthole view!  That is enough to get you excited for the day!

This is more enticing than David Attenborough's video

My first picture of South Georgia
A bull elephant seal

Once we landed on the beach

Fur Seals and King Penguins
Just imagine standing right here, a few meters away from 
those seals.  Penguins in front, penguins behind!!
Here's a Shag, perhaps from Shag Rocks!

Did I mention there were some Penguins!
Did I mention it was cold!
Baby King Penguins and a whale bone
Ya know, just standing in a glacial stream for two hours...
Totally worth it!!!

partially frozen waterfall

The Fur Seals have pointy noses, the elephant seals have blunt noses


The adults create a very loose circle around the babies
I did not steal this from G-Adventures marketing


There are a million more photos but I will stop there.  I came back a bit before we had to, my feet were getting cold.  No one mentions that you are going to be spending the entire time ashore standing in a stream coming off a glacier.  We stand where the animals are not standing, and in this case, it was at the bottom of a waterfall that was partially frozen!  

A quick lunch as we repositioned the ship to Rosita Harbour.  



My gear was still soaking wet.  I tried to dry my little gloves on the bedside lamp but they were definitely still damp.  Hands be damned, I still jumped into the zodiac.  

Rosita Harbour was not quite the awe inspiring landing as Right Whale Beach but it had it's charms.  Only one lone Gentoo penguin, our first.  Later a sad single King penguin appeared as well.  Lots of fur seals.  We have been warned a million times to keep our distance from the Fur and Elephant Seals, they can charge and a bit can be very dangerous.  Well, easier said than done when they are everywhere. 

Gentoo!  With places to go
Blue-eyed Shag (aka Comorant)

What you lookin' at?

Hello?  Where are my peeps?

I did not pick up that cool rock,
even though I REALLY wanted to

This makes me want to do some yoga



Back to the ship.  I was exhausted.  And cold but what a day!  And then we had an outdoor BBQ on the deck since we were staying in harbour and were somewhat protected from the elements. I have to say the Hotel Staff are absolute wonders.  They were out there setting up and cooking with parkas and mitts.  

A perfect end to a perfect day. 


That's it for now.   I have discovered that one I close one of these Blogspot drafts without saving (no wifi remember), I don't have access to it again.  I will probably fill in some details when I have internet or maybe not.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ushuaia, Buenos Aires, and the trip home

 I'm writing this from home, laundry in the washing machine, cat firmly glued to my lap (now that she has forgiven me). We arrived in Us...