Tuesday, November 1, 2022

Falklands Island Day Two (Stanley)

We arrived in Stanley harbour at around 5:30am.  Many of us got up so we could be on deck because we had been told it is a gorgeous entrance and because there was a chance of more dolphins.  There had even been a blue whale sighting the day before but I didn't see it. 

Our day in Stanley started with a choice of hikes/walks.  The short walk and the long walk along Gypsy Cove or a strenuous hike up Tumbledown Ridge.  Julie went for Tumbledown Ridge.  Amy and I originally signed up for the long walk (advertised as 1.6 km) but I was so sore from our West Point Island hike, I convinced her to switch to the short walk (1 km).  Plus, there were over 80 signed  up for the long walk and less than 20 for the short walk.  And, if that wasn't enough, because there were so many on the long walk, they divided them into two groups and Amy and I were going to be in different groups (7:45 departure and 8:15 departure). 

Gypsy Cove walk is around a peninsula that includes some areas blocked off due to uncleared landmines, and another part the includes a Melligenic Penguin nesting area.  They nest underground.  

The coast is beautiful.  I took way too many pictures, as usual.  


When we got to this giant gun, that was the turn off to finish the short walk to head back to the bus.  It was way too short!   So Amy and I decided to carry on with the long walk.  It worked out well for us because, due to bus delays, we were 30 minutes behind the first group and probably 30 minutes ahead of the second group.  There were only 16 in our group and more than half veered off to the short walk.  So, we had the trail to ourselves, at least until the second group caught up to us.  


Of  course, the long walk was much longer that 1.6 km.  Someone with a working smartphone said it was closer to 7 km.  But we could walk at our own pace so it was fine.  But again, rubber boots are not hiking boots.  


My only sighting of a penguin was this one sitting in it's nest.  Not everyone noticed it. 

And then back to scenery and more birds


There are three ship wrecks at the end of the walk.  

Then it was onto the bus and back to the ship.  Amy and I chose not to get back on since that would require a decontamination process and we knew we were going into town right away.  So, we just waited for the next ride into Stanley proper.  But that meant all day in our rubber boots.

First lunch.  The two famous pubs are called the Globe which is 'seedy' and the Victory which is 'nice'. (Later reports said the Victory is also seedy, I don't know anyone who went to the Globe to compare). There was another ship in town and it was lunch and the Tavern was uphill so we settled on going to a pub called Groovies.  I thought the name didn't bode well but the fish and chips were superb!  No local beer on tap though. 

And then we got to shopping!!

And sightseeing.

Amy headed back to the ship on the 3:30 bus.  I walked up to the cemetery.  And then some time at the docks. 

the harbour



Ok, I have to get ready for the 6:30 debrief and recap.  We are hopefully having our first landing on South Georgia so I need to hear what's going on.  

1 comment:

  1. I just got caught up on all your posts. Penguins are so cute! I guess you've been out of wifi since Nov 1st. Hope all is going amazingly and that you've adapted completely to the seafaring life.

    ReplyDelete

Ushuaia, Buenos Aires, and the trip home

 I'm writing this from home, laundry in the washing machine, cat firmly glued to my lap (now that she has forgiven me). We arrived in Us...